Thursday, October 6, 2011

Haiti Question Sources


                Given the history of the poor and corrupt Haitian government, were donations and aid dealt with appropriately by the government and other decision makers after the earthquake.  
When searching for information to help me answer this question, I couldn't find one source that would answer everything, but I needed a combination of a few to give me background information as well as details.  
Therefore, the first thing that I found interesting was the history of Haitian government and government officials stealing public money and donations from other countries, instead of them being used to help Haitian citizens. According to The Ottawa Citizen, in 1992, "Haiti's military leaders plundered a Canadian aid account of about $3 million" instead of the country's impoverished receiving this money.  This source supplied me with information regarding the tradition of Haiti's corrupt leadership.  Another source that gave me information about this history was the San Francisco Chronicle.  This source provided me with the background of a previous president of Haiti, President Jean Claude Duvalier, who allegedly stole hundreds of millions of dollars from Haiti. These two sources would be useful to use when writing an essay because they bring me to the conclusion that Haiti has been struck with a long history of government corruption. 
At this point, I needed to find information concerning Haiti's government's current status.  From Samantha Nadler's Washington Report on the Hemisphere, I discovered information regarding the Haitians slow rebuilding of their country and usage of the money they have been given.  This is an excellent source for me to use because it supplied me with information concerning the Haitian government's usage of grants.  This source supplied me with information that would be beneficial to an essay on this topic because it explained how much of the money Haiti has been given hasn't found its way to the intended causes, but instead the bank accounts of leaders in charge of distributing aid.  
          The Ottawa Citizen, the San Francisco Chronicle, and the Washington Report on the Hemisphere are sources that allow me to determine whether the Haitian leadership was/is effectively carrying out their responsibilities to their citizens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment